Black Dogs joy at richly deserved win
- Credit: Archant
A goal deep into added time brought the Black Dogs a richly deserved first victory of the season at Watton on Saturday.
They dominated the first half of this Anglian Combination division one game but a fortuitous Watton equaliser meant they went in level at the interval. Watton were more in the game in the second half, but Bungay defended well, with the U18s partnership of James Wightman and Tommy Miller outstanding.
It was an encouraging display by the whole team, however, and will give them hope in some tough fixtures ahead in the next few weeks.
John Riches had a shot blocked following an early free kick, and Darrell Wigger, a thorn in Watton’s side all afternoon, fired a good chance wide. Bungay’s early dominance brought them the lead in the 12th minute with some slick football. Keith Caley played the ball down the line to Wigger, who got to the byline before crossing for River Crowson to convert from four yards.
A fine tackle by Miller cut out one Watton threat, but the home defence was the busier, and Wigger forced the first of several corners when he was played clear. In the 39th minute he had a great chance to put his side further ahead, but fired wide.
You may also want to watch:
Riches drilled a powerful 30-yard shot into the keeper’s midriff, but totally against the run of play Watton equalised in the 45th minute.
With Lewis Riches off his line Mark Allibone ballooned the ball into the air and it went over the keeper and into the net on its first bounce.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 5 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 6 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 7 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 8 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
In the second half Stan Dossett got in a header that was comfortably taken and Wigger curled a free-kick narrowly over, but Watton were more in the game and put a couple of clear chances wide.
For Bungay, Wigger had a fine chance in the 63rd minute, only to fire wide. With the scores level Watton were always in with a chance of snatching the points, and hooked one chance wide with six minutes left.
Substitute Ivan Ivanov had a shot deflected on to a post following a corner and Riches brought a flying save from the keeper with a shot on the turn before, three minutes into added time, Bungay found a deserved winner.
Substitute Luke Ellis and Callum Cox combined for Cox to release Wigger on the left and he finished coolly with a shot across the keeper into the far corner.
Team: L Riches, S Olley, T Miller, J Wightman, K Caley, R Crowson, J Riches, L Metcalfe (I Ivanov), S Dossett, D Wigger, C Cox (L Ellis).
Tomorrow Bungay visit Aylsham (2pm).