Brave effort by Beccles
Basildon 27, Beccles 15: Following a good performance last week Beccles travelled to league high-flyers Basildon with an air of quiet optimism.
The Bulls pack started well, using their weight advantage well. Backed up by direct running from centres Sale and Williamson the pressure eventually led to an infringement and Wade duly slotted over the opening points of the game.
For the next period of play Basildon dominated. The Bulls' defence withheld repeated attacks, with notable defensive efforts from backs Payne, Davey-Durak and Long. But the hosts' patience was finally rewarded with two well taken tries out wide. The Bulls immediately replied and following some powerful runs up field from brothers Danny and David Rix the backs duly capitalised by scoring a well taken team try from Payne
While down at the break the Bulls remained in confident mood following some positive words from stand-in skipper Porter and coach Reeves.
The second half started well with some great ball carrying from the Bulls pack, with Porter and Johnstone making good yards, while the back row trio of Maeer, Hewitt and Wade were working hard. But against the run of play the home team broke the line and scored out wide.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles soon found themselves back in the opposition 22 following a typical power-house run from Long, Veasey-Lark and Hewitt.
With B & B Skip Hire man of the match Davey-Durak enjoying his best game of the season, powerhouse Guntrip came up just short of the line, before Davey-Durak burst through to score out wide. Wade converted at speed knowing a Bulls converted try would steal the game.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 9 'Business as usual' as shopping mall enters administration
- 10 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
Unfortunately it was Basildon who had the final say. With the Bulls throwing caution a quick turn-over saw the hosts score what was the best try of the game.