Brantham spoil Gorleston’s perfect Thurlow Nunn League record

Gorleston missed out on the chance to go level on points with Dereham at the top of the Premier Division after being held at Brantham Athletic on Saturday.

The Greens opened the scoring in the 11th minute when Ricci Butler produced a trademark free-kick to give the visitors the lead.

Brantham started the second half brightly and just after the hour-mark they levelled thanks to a Ben Garnham penalty after Howell was penalised for a foul on Brothers. Brantham went looking for the winner in the closing stages but some excellent goalkeeping from Elliot Pride kept them at bay.

Diss Town came from 2-0 down to secure their first point of the season since the opening day draw at Stanway Rovers with two late goals.

Ely went in front after 33 minutes thanks to Andrew Claydon's near post finish and when he grabbed his second in the 84th minute it looked like the Tangerines' poor recent run would continue.

You may also want to watch:

Stuart Jopling's introduction turned the tide in Diss' favour and when Tom Bryant scored it set up a grandstand finish. The comeback was completed in injury time thanks to Jason Cole's fine header.

Thetford Town were left to rue a harsh penalty decision against Haverhill Rovers early in the second half, which Dan Cornwell converted. Paul Abbott was sent off for Rovers shortly after but Cornwell made sure of the result in the 90th minute with his second. James Pipe got a consolation on his Thetford debut in injury time but it was too little, too late.

Most Read

Kirkley & Pakefield halted a run of three successive defeats with a 0-0 draw at Walsham-le-Willows.

A goal in the second minute of stoppage time denied Great Yarmouth Town a chance to end Cambridge University Press' 100pc start to the new campaign. A spectacular 25 yard dipping volley from captain Callum Jones got Yarmouth off the mark on 17 minutes after Mitch Forbes had a penalty saved. Two quick goals at the start of the second half from Lee Clift and Lewis Whitehead gave the visitors the lead before Iain Mills equalised with a half-volley from a corner. Cambridge re-took the lead through Clift's second before Charlie McAra headed in an instant equaliser. Sabey then broke Yarmouth hearts.

Joe Jackson hit a late consolation for Swaffham as they went down to a 2-1 defeat against Brightlingsea Regent while Fakenham were held at home by Ipswich Wanderers despite Liam Somerton giving them a first-half lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter