Braintree 48, Beccles 0
Beccles suffered a heavy defeat when they travelled to London 2NE high-flyers Braintree in their first league game of the New Year.
The visitors were missing Rix, Rob Wilson and Hinsley from the back row. Maeer and Pennington played on the flanks and new signing from Hungary Attila Baksza came in for his debut at No 8. In the backs Rayner was missing from full back and was replaced by Gedney.
Braintree started the game well and were soon in front. The Beccles pack were struggling in the scrum against a competent unit. This meant they had little ball and Braintree were able to keep them under pressure. The hosts scored regularly and at half-time they led 31-0.
Braintree scored again at the start of the second half but then Beccles began to put some better rugby together and were able to move out of their own half and began to put some moves together.
They created a few chances but could not get themselves on the score sheet.
New signing Baksza made some good tackles and carried the ball well and was made the Musker McIntyre man of the match.
The score remained the same for most of the second half until Braintree added two late tries to give a final score of 48-0.
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 6 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 7 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 8 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
This was a hard game for Beccles against the top of the table side and was the start of three tough games against the three sides at the top of the league.
Beccles entertain Romford on Saturday and will be looking for an improved performance and to pick up their first points of 2011.