Blofield United launch late bid for Anglian Combination top spot with emphatic win
Blofield United ignited their title challenge with an 11-0 humbling of relegation battlers Hempnall in the Premier Division.
A hat-trick from Chris Holmes and further goals from Ben Morgan (2), Richard Brett (2), Karl Mills (2), Daniel McKail and an own goal sealed an emphatic win.
It leaves Blofield level on points with second-placed Acle and six behind leaders Cromer – who have played a game more than both teams directly below them.
The manner of victory also brings Blofield's goal difference (48) to a similar level as Cromer (45) and Acle (48) – and their penultimate fixture is at Cromer.
Acle were held to a 2-2 draw at Mattishall.
You may also want to watch:
Duncan Hewitt and Samuel Applegate scored for the hosts, with Luke Goreham and Daniel Colk on target for Acle.
Chris Hall scored the only goal of the game as Loddon United won at home against Spixworth.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
That allowed Norwich St Johns, in fourth, to move three points clear of Spixworth with a 2-0 win at Wroxham Reserves. Craig Fewtrell and David Matthews scored for St Johns.
Dersingham Rovers made sure of the Division One title by beating Horsford United 4-1.
Paul English (2), Gary English and Trevor Daniels scored the goals which gave Rovers an unassailable lead at the top, with Alan Rudder netting for Horsford.
It is all-change at the other end of the table, as the sides who started the day in the bottom two, Watton and Bradenham Wanderers, both won to move out of the relegation zone.
Bradenham beat Norwich CEYMS 3-0 with goals from Thomas Spalding (2) and Karl Bush, while Watton thrashed Brandon 7-0.
They have been replaced in the drop zone by Sprowston Athletic and Holt United.
Sprowston slumped to a 5-0 defeat at Stalham, with Darren Patterson grabbing a hat-trick for the hosts and Darren Miller and Lawrence Cheese completing the rout.
Kieran Hack also notched a treble as Caister won 6-2 at Holt. Michael Gislam, Anton Ward and Nicky Crawley were also on target for the visitors, with Kevin Moore and Christopher English replying for Holt.
Hindringham remain in the thick of the relegation battle after a 4-1 loss at Corton. Elliott Dawes scored all four for the hosts, with Ian Bulley striking for Hindringham.
Stephen Drake's hat-trick helped Reepham Town to a 5-2 victory at Hellesdon. There were further goals from Ashley Dearing and William Barber for Reepham, while Lloyd Quinton and an own goal accounted for Hellesdon's tally.