Blofield United launch late bid for Anglian Combination top spot with emphatic win
Blofield United ignited their title challenge with an 11-0 humbling of relegation battlers Hempnall in the Premier Division.
A hat-trick from Chris Holmes and further goals from Ben Morgan (2), Richard Brett (2), Karl Mills (2), Daniel McKail and an own goal sealed an emphatic win.
It leaves Blofield level on points with second-placed Acle and six behind leaders Cromer – who have played a game more than both teams directly below them.
The manner of victory also brings Blofield's goal difference (48) to a similar level as Cromer (45) and Acle (48) – and their penultimate fixture is at Cromer.
Acle were held to a 2-2 draw at Mattishall.
Duncan Hewitt and Samuel Applegate scored for the hosts, with Luke Goreham and Daniel Colk on target for Acle.
Chris Hall scored the only goal of the game as Loddon United won at home against Spixworth.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 5 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 8 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 10 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
That allowed Norwich St Johns, in fourth, to move three points clear of Spixworth with a 2-0 win at Wroxham Reserves. Craig Fewtrell and David Matthews scored for St Johns.
Dersingham Rovers made sure of the Division One title by beating Horsford United 4-1.
Paul English (2), Gary English and Trevor Daniels scored the goals which gave Rovers an unassailable lead at the top, with Alan Rudder netting for Horsford.
It is all-change at the other end of the table, as the sides who started the day in the bottom two, Watton and Bradenham Wanderers, both won to move out of the relegation zone.
Bradenham beat Norwich CEYMS 3-0 with goals from Thomas Spalding (2) and Karl Bush, while Watton thrashed Brandon 7-0.
They have been replaced in the drop zone by Sprowston Athletic and Holt United.
Sprowston slumped to a 5-0 defeat at Stalham, with Darren Patterson grabbing a hat-trick for the hosts and Darren Miller and Lawrence Cheese completing the rout.
Kieran Hack also notched a treble as Caister won 6-2 at Holt. Michael Gislam, Anton Ward and Nicky Crawley were also on target for the visitors, with Kevin Moore and Christopher English replying for Holt.
Hindringham remain in the thick of the relegation battle after a 4-1 loss at Corton. Elliott Dawes scored all four for the hosts, with Ian Bulley striking for Hindringham.
Stephen Drake's hat-trick helped Reepham Town to a 5-2 victory at Hellesdon. There were further goals from Ashley Dearing and William Barber for Reepham, while Lloyd Quinton and an own goal accounted for Hellesdon's tally.