Biggleswade Town 2 King’s Lynn Town 4: Applause for Linnets after convincing away win

Lynn's John Sands, right, who scored twice in the win at Biggleswade. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's John Sands, right, who scored twice in the win at Biggleswade. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

It was the sound of applause, as opposed to booing, that greeted King's Lynn Town as they left the pitch at Biggleswade's Langford Road.

The performance and result was a perfect response from Gary Setchell and his men after some supporters vented their frustrations following Town's midweek home draw with St Neots Town, with Setchell's broad smile post-match telling its own story.

However, it wasn't all plain sailing for the Linnets, who found themselves a goal down inside the first 10 minutes as home captain Craig Daniel's swift turn and shot from close in flew past keeper Alex Street following Nick Freeman's corner.

Setchell could be forgiven for thinking his week from hell would conclude with more doom and gloom, but his young side, not for the first time this season, rolled up their collective sleeves and smashed home three unanswered goals in nine frantic minutes of football.

Jack Friend, starting his first game since early January, won a penalty when his driven centre struck Max York's arm, allowing Michael Clunan to slot home Lynn's 50th Southern League goal of the season on his return from suspension.

You may also want to watch:

Friend, excellent all afternoon, combined with Jordan Yong on the left minutes later, and his precise cross was collected by John Sands who beat the helpless Ian Brown.

Sands then fired wide following a neat build-up involving Clunan and Friend but made no mistake seconds later with a towering header from Lee Stevenson's lofted pass following a flowing move.

Most Read

Brown was by now far the busier keeper and only diving saves from Friend and Sands denied Lynn. York made amends for his earlier misdemeanour in first half stoppage-time when he denied Friend with a goal-line clearance.

Shortly after the re-start, Town made it four. This time Toby Hilliard was the benefactor of the industrious Friend as he collected his low ball and was allowed the time to compose himself before drilling an angled drive beyond Brown to make the game safe.

Freeman reduced the arrears, but there were few other alarms for Town who, on this evidence, will continue to fight for every available point in their final five fixtures.

Biggleswade Town: Brown, York, Coulson, Lewis, Key (Fortune), Rees, Daniel, King (Vincent), Effiong, Burnett, Freeman. Subs not used: Marsh, Short. Booking: York. Goals: Daniel 7, Freeman 59

King's Lynn Town: Street, Fryatt, Yong, Castellan (Miller), Gaughran, Bridges, Clunan, Stevenson, Friend (Mulready), Sands (Edge), Hilliard. Subs not used: Hurst, Smith. Bookings: Miller, Gaughran, Clunan, Stevenson. Goals: Clunan 14 pen, Sands 20, 23, Hilliard 52

Referee: Dean Appleby. Att: 181

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter