Beccles rugby youngster thrash Norwich
Beccles Under-14 44, Norwich Under-14 15: After a frustrating start to the New Year which saw Beccles lose to Woodbridge away, the Under-14s picked themselves up and were looking forward to their second home game of the season.
The conditions for playing were not ideal as the team turned up on what was a very windy Sunday morning at the Beccles ground, but there wasa an excellent turn out from players and supporters alike.
The game started very well for the Beccles side and saw Jake Turnell cross the Norwich line for the first try of the match within a short period of time – unfortunately, due to the weather conditions, this was not converted.
Beccles soon got into their stride and started to put all the hard work into practice, driving the Norwich players off the ball time after time, through some very impressive rucking. This eventually saw three further tries scored in the first half, thanks to forwards Jimmy Crame, with two, and James McGregor.
However, the Norwich side were not about to give up that easily and produced some good running rugby which Beccles failed to defend against, allowing their outside centre to cross the line twice.
You may also want to watch:
After some words of encouragement from the coaching staff at half-time, Beccles again put their hard work into practice and played some good rugby, much to the spectators' enjoyment.
A second try from James McGregor and two converted tries from James Maidment and Sam Collyer saw Beccles extend their lead, only to allow the Norwich outside centre to score his third try through a combination of running rugby and poor defending.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
But Beccles had the last word, with Jake Turnell crossing the line once more for his second try.
The match was a tremendous team effort for the side, which comprises under-13 and under-14 players, with some good individual play from the likes of Jordan Smith, who had several bursting runs, and Marcus Dyer, who tackled hard when he needed to from the scrum-half position.
However, top marks go to Harry Shipley, Beccles man of the match, who played his first game for the side and was only denied a debut try after running from deep within his own half by some last-minute defence from the Norwich players.
• Anyone interested in joining the side is welcome. Training is Wednesday evenings 7-8pm, and every Sunday morning between 10am and noon at Beef Meadow.
For details contact Tony Dyer on 07929 761305 or pop down.