Beaumont hat-trick helps keep Dereham in top spot

Dereham Town are still setting the pace in the Ridgeons Premier Division despite Wroxham closing the gap with recent results.

Star striker Danny Beaumont hit a hat-trick with Scott Roberts and Gary Starling completing the nap hand for the Magpies at lowly Felixstowe and Walton United.

Dereham manager Matt Henman was pleased with the result, which he said was a timely one. 'It was important to win, having dropped a couple of points the week before and Wroxham breathing down our necks.

'It was a good all-round team performance. We're hoping to put another run of wins together in the next few weeks.'

It was 1-0 at half-time with Roberts netting then Beaumont got the next three – two from penalties – before Starling wrapped up a comprehensive win for the league leaders.

With Wroxham beating hosts Hadleigh 2-0, the gap remains two points between the Norfolk rivals.

Wroxham were the better side from the first whistle to last and fully deserved to return to Norfolk with all three points.

Most Read

The Yachtsmen went in front on the hour, Damian Hilton's rising 20-yard drive taking a slight deflection and beating Arron Benstead at his near post. Two minutes later Canfer's misdirected clearance went straight to Danny Boswell who planted his shot past Benstead to seal the points.

Meanwhile, it was a frustrating afternoon for Great Yarmouth who were pinning their hopes on a rare home win when Haverhill paid a visit. But despite leading 2-0, they were pegged back by the visitors so it ended in a 2-2 draw.

Scott Woodcock's corner was dramatically turned in by birthday-boy Gareth Palmer with his back to goal.

It was a deserved lead which, within four minutes, was doubled. Kevin Howes battled for the ball in the visitors' box and Craig Roberts got a toe on it to notch his second goal in two games.

In another four minutes, Matt Clark gave Haverhill a lifeline though his hard shot deflected off a defender's head and the bar before going in.

An equaliser followed after 82 minutes when substitute Craig Cutts sent in a low ball and another defender's lunge only helped it over the line. Yarmouth failed to get a three-point return but it was not for the want of endeavour.

In a key third versus fourth clash Kirkley and Pakefield lost 1-0 to CRC but the Suffolk side remain above them in the table.

Norwich United earned a second consecutive victory against Ely City at Plantation Park, lifting them up to ninth place in the table.

They took the lead after just three minutes when a cross from the right was hit goalwards by Ross King, producing a good save from Lee Pacey, but he couldn't prevent Ben Furlong following up to put the ball in the back of the net.

The Planters doubled the lead when Andy Key, wide on the left, won two challenges before crossing from deep and deceiving the keeper and the ball ball sailing in to the top corner.

A convincing win for the Planters thanks to a good all-round performance.

United's manager Paul Chick said: 'We had to work hard in difficult conditions, a very pleasing performance.'

It was honours even at Wisbech Town when Stanway Rovers paid a visit, one goal apiece with D Jimpson netting for the hosts.

Mildenhall returned from Woodbridge without any points after a 3-1 defeat.

Other games in the division saw hosts Debenham LC lose to FC Clacton 2-0 and Brantham Athletic put five past hosts Histon Reserves without reply, while Wivenhoe and visiting Newmarket battled out a goal-less draw.