Barkingside 1 Wroxham 0: Late heartbreak for Yachtsmen
- Credit: Archant
Persistent rain coupled with strong wind and a stoppage time goal sunk the Yachtsmen at Barkingside in a six-pointer at the bottom of the table, writes Tom Wardle.
The home side got off to the perfect start though in the 11th minute. Jack Garrod received the ball halfway into the Barkingside half before chipping the ball over the top of the defence to Jamie Forshaw.
His touch took him slightly wide of the goal, but he managed to pull it back to Jordan Attree, who fired home from close range.
Barkingside started to up their game after the goal, as Elliot Pride was called into action immediately, but Spencer's shot from the edge of the area was straight at the Wroxham goalkeeper. Five minutes later Pride was once again called into action, this time a long ball forward found the feet of Spencer, but Pride rushed out and blocked the shot before putting it out for a throw.
The Yachtsmen very nearly went further in front, as Garrod's run down the right-hand side, saw the winger pull the ball back for Jamie Forshaw on the penalty spot but his shot narrowly missed the top of the goal. However, in the 26th minute Barkingside's pressure told and the equaliser pegged back Wroxham. Michael Ademiliu cut inside from the left before his deflected shot fell for Michael Spencer in space and he was able to find the net from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham started the second half brightly but it was the home side that claimed the winner in stoppage time. A Barkingside corner was only cleared as far as Ademiliu on the corner of the six-yard box and the midfielder smashed the ball into the back of the net to give Barkingside a much needed win in the six-pointer at the bottom of the table.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 5 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 6 Brothers take wedding bookings for 2022 after finishing barn project
- 7 Town left at standstill after level crossing failure
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change