Aylsham ace Newson must take a risk at King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
Aylsham stock car driver Mat Newson must risk all in his bid to win the BriSCA Formula One Shoot Out when he races in its penultimate round at King's Lynn's Adrian Flux Arena on Saturday (6pm).
As the end-of-season race to win the coveted silver roof reaches its climax, Newson is languishing eighth in the standings and needs a dominant performance at his home track if he is to get back on terms with current leader Lee Fairhurst (Bolton).
Newson was a heat winner at Northampton on Sunday and was left to rue his luck when a flat tyre robbed him of what looked like a near certain final win later in the day. Nothing less than a heat-and-final double on Saturday will keep his hopes alive ahead of the following weekend's double-points finale at Sheffield.
World champion Rob Speak (Manchester) and crowd favourite Stuart Smith Jr (Rochdale) are also in contention and hoping for good showings at King's Lynn, while the ever-popular Frankie Wainman Jr (Yorkshire) is in a similar position to Newson.
Saturday night's action also features BriSCA Formula Two Stock Cars – competing for their Grand National Championship – and Ministox, before racing returns to the track on Sunday afternoon (1pm) with a five-formula special.
Sunday's racing has more of a local flavour and features the Lady Bangers' biggest race of the season, their Gold Roof Championship, in which Norwich driver Tiff Collins will fancy her chances from her front row qualifying position.
National Banger action comes in the form of 1500cc Bangers in their last National Championship qualifying round.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 5 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 6 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 7 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
Swaffham-based defending champion Terry Garrod will be on track, alongside the hometown world champion Darren Fendley and Norwich entertainers Ben Englestone, Chris Medler and Mark Quinsey.
Sunday's 1300cc Stock Car entry includes Gavin Payne and Dan Weavers (both Norwich) who have impressed many in their debut campaigns in the formula. Junior Bangers and V8 Stock Cars complete Sunday's programme.