Away day triumph sees Wisbech head into last 16 of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town made it through to the last 16 of the FA Vase for the first time in 17 years with a gutsy performance in Northumberland.
With keeper Lea Jordan and midfielder Callum Stocks both cup-tied and Callum Reed unavailable, nearly every available senior player was in the starting line-up, leaving joint-managers Dick Creasey and Paul Cousins with a very youthful bench to pick from if things didn't go to plan.
After a couple of early long range free-kicks had resulted in half chances for the Fenmen, a foul on Danny White on the edge of the penalty area gave Tom James a chance from 20 yards and he found the back of the net with a rasping shot.
The equaliser came in first-half stoppage time, Kyle Oliver rising unchallenged to head past Carl Mackney from David Carson's corner.
The second half became rather scrappy, with neither side able to carve out clear opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
The pivotal moment arrived in the 75th minute when Tom James was hacked down in the box by David Carson. The Fenmen's top scorer picked himself up and calmly converted the penalty to put Wisbech back in the lead.
The remainder of the game saw the Wisbech goal come under severe pressure, but the defence held firm, Mackney pulling off a fantastic save in stoppage time to spark jubilant scenes on and off the pitch at the final whistle.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 10 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
The draw is due to be made at lunchtime today.
Wisbech: Mackney, Doherty, Johnson, Cousins, Spafford, Millson, Reid, White, Battersby, James, Lunn (Tricks 90). Subs not used: Davis, Fisher, Whyatt, Stewart.