Aveley 2 Dereham Town 2 – Magpies let victory slip on the road
Numerous missed chances meant that Dereham left Mill Field with only a point in their latest Ryman North encounter.
Dereham got off to a slow start as Frazer Blake-Tracy was on hand to make a goal-line clearance to deny Petrit Elbi in the opening minute after a mistake by Jake Anema.
In the 15th minute Dion Frary needlessly conceded a penalty by impeding Aveley's David Fallah in the box – Billy Holland made no mistake from the spot to put the home side ahead.
Dereham reacted by winning two corners, with Luke Tuttle's second centre striking keeper James Marrable's near post.
Dereham produced their best effort of the half with home keeper Marble making a good save to keep out Sam Borrer's low drive after Blake-Tracy and James Cooper combined down the left. They soon drew level in the 44th minute when Ryan Crisp robbed defender Joe Oseymi who had dwelt on the ball too long and progressed before beating the advancing keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham went ahead 28 seconds into the second half as skipper Borrer clinically finished Rhys Logan's cross from close range.
Aveley restored parity with Fallah being allowed space to beat keeper Will Viner with a fierce drive from 16 yards. Dereham quickly had two opportunities to retake the lead with home keeper Marrable twice denying Rhys Logan.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
As the visitors continued to press, Luke Winter failed to convert Tuttle's free-kick at the far post and in the 89th minute Cooper fired wide when well placed after good approach play by Logan.
Aveley: Marrable, Preston, Deen, Edwards, Oseymi, Harrison, Nash (Dukalu 73), Holland (Ogbogin 84), Teniola (Retkoceri 73), Fallah, Elbi. Sub not used: Smith.
Dereham: Viner, Frary, Blake-Tracy, Morphew, Howard, Anema, Logan, Borrer, Crisp (Winter 58), Tuttle, Cooper. Subs not used: Cook, Linford.
Referee: T Ratheram