Aveley 2 Dereham Town 0 – Back to the drawing board for Magpies after another defeat
- Credit: Pexels/Pixabay
Dereham's poor run continued as Aveley eased to victory at Mill Road.
A goal in each half from Mason Bloomfield earned the points and lifted his side to third in the table.
In the eighth minute Harley Black fed Joe Gatting with home keeper Lamar Joseph-Johnson saving his low drive.
The Magpies then won three corners as they tested the Millers' defence. Dereham produced a fluid passing move with Jackson Ramm finding Gatting in the box but again the striker's 20 yard drive was saved.
The home side took the lead in the 24th minute when visiting keeper Josh Glover spilled the ball to Mason Bloomfield in the box, allowing the striker to turn and plant the ball into an open net.
You may also want to watch:
There was little between the sides for the remainder of the half, with defences on top.
Aveley wasted a good chance at the start of the second period when Bloomfield failed to convert Jordan Peart's excellent ball from the left.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
Michael Toner hit a fierce drive into Glover's arms from distance as the home side pressed again. Dereham's Gatting made space for himself outside the Aveley box but his shot lacked power and Joseph-Johnson saved. The home side nearly caught Dereham on the break, with Dion Frary having to make a vital last ditch challenge.
As play switched ends Louis Mason fired a low drive into Joseph-Johnson's arms before Rhys Logan was unlucky to see his 25 yard effort cannon against the bar.
However, Aveley broke quickly down the right with substitute Danny McCullock delivering an inviting cross to enable Bloomfield to tap home his and Aveley's second goal in the 77th minute.
With minutes remaining young defender Harrison Howes shot way over the top from distance as the Magpies looked for an unlikely comeback.