Auger takes her chance to pounce for win in Five-by-Three grassroots MTB series at Taverham Hall
A wet dawn turned into a splendid morning for racing in time for the third round of the Five-by-Three grassroots MTB series at Taverham Hall.
It's an event primarily aimed at newcomers to cycle racing, but is also popular with not-so-fast experienced riders who welcome the relaxed atmosphere. However, there is some serious racing at the front and well-known names topping the results.
The women's race was a close battle with Alex Nichol of City College-based Team CCN taking the early lead and proving quicker on the exciting descents – which all had easier, longer alternative options. However Erica Auger was in hot pursuit and when, as Nichol put it, 'my legs went boom', Auger took the lead and held it to the end.
Liam Manser of Swaffham-based EHF team took the men's race, his broad tyres gripping better on the damp leaf-mould clad climbs than the narrower rubber of nearest rival Ben Findlay from North Walsham. Third was Iceni's Jimmy Hupton.
Dougal Toms (Iceni Velo) smoothly dominated the Under-16s race while clubmate Josun Cole took the Under-12s from Mildenhall CC pair Josh Murad and Colin Mantle.
The final round of the Eastern Cyclo-Cross League at Bury St Edmunds saw a clear win by 17 year-old GB International Sean Dunlea (Ciclos Uno) with Ross Tricker (XRT/Elmy) securing the Senior League after rival Matthew Webber's gear mech went in his wheel. Top Norfolk man was Tim Guy of Iceni Velo in fourth – taking the same position in the league overall.
Dougal Toms (Iceni) completed his 10th straight win in the youth race where Jali Packer (9th), Kieran Jarvis (10th) and Sophie Wright (13th and first girl) are looking to form a strong Great Yarmouth CC youth team this year. Not racing at Bury, but best Gt Yarmouth CC rider in the Youth League was fourth-placed Lewis Hardcastle.
- 1 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 2 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 5 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 6 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 7 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 8 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
- 9 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man
- 10 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
Phil Buick is third in the Over-50 League while his Iceni Velo club was sixth overall in the team competition for the Ivan Jeckell Trophy – in memory of the Norwich ABC member who was for 36 years EDP and Evening News cycling correspondent.