Ashley Waterson so near to England cross country spot
Norfolk's young cross country runners travelled to Ilton in Somerset for the English Schools cross country championships.
The top performer was Ashley Waterson in the junior boys event. A few seconds faster and he would have made the England team for the schools international in Ireland next week. Ashley followed the leading group for the whole race but had the frustrating experience of finishing 11th.
In the junior girls race Ellie Drake finished 57th. Catherine Lee was the first Norfolk competitor in the Intermediate girls (under-17) race in 141st position.
The best set of results came in the senior girls race where the team finished 14th out of the 44 competing counties. Nastassja Potgeiter led the team home in 52nd place followed by Mabel Beckett 68th. Juliet Broster was 82nd with Tania Pendreich 100th.
The senior girls race was dominated by the European junior cross country champion Emma Gorecka and World Youth Games silver medallist Jessica Mudd.The best of the intermediate boys was Kyle Ella in 85th place.
You may also want to watch:
Due to call offs, injuries and illness this was the least successful set of results for the county for some time.
The ESAA championships next year will be a bit closer to home in Derbyshire.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving