Ashley Waterson so near to England cross country spot
Norfolk's young cross country runners travelled to Ilton in Somerset for the English Schools cross country championships.
The top performer was Ashley Waterson in the junior boys event. A few seconds faster and he would have made the England team for the schools international in Ireland next week. Ashley followed the leading group for the whole race but had the frustrating experience of finishing 11th.
In the junior girls race Ellie Drake finished 57th. Catherine Lee was the first Norfolk competitor in the Intermediate girls (under-17) race in 141st position.
The best set of results came in the senior girls race where the team finished 14th out of the 44 competing counties. Nastassja Potgeiter led the team home in 52nd place followed by Mabel Beckett 68th. Juliet Broster was 82nd with Tania Pendreich 100th.
The senior girls race was dominated by the European junior cross country champion Emma Gorecka and World Youth Games silver medallist Jessica Mudd.The best of the intermediate boys was Kyle Ella in 85th place.
You may also want to watch:
Due to call offs, injuries and illness this was the least successful set of results for the county for some time.
The ESAA championships next year will be a bit closer to home in Derbyshire.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 8 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146