Anthony Ogogo hasn't given up on dream of becoming world champion despite more surgery
PUBLISHED: 17:12 10 December 2017 | UPDATED: 18:02 10 December 2017
Anthony Ogogo insists he is still holding on to his dream of becoming world champion after undergoing his fourth eye operation.
The 29-year-old, from Lowestoft, is in the USA for more surgery on his left eye, which he fractured in defeat to Craig Cunningham in October 2016.
But in a post whilst out in Washington DC, Ogogo insists he will one day be crowned world champion despite having to go under the knife once again.
“My dream is that I get my eye sorted,” said the middleweight on Twitter on Saturday.
“After over a year of an ordeal, which one day I will go into properly, I (want to) finally get my eye sorted and get back in the boxing ring and do what I love… what my passion is.
“I want to finally show the world how good I can be and get back in the boxing ring and get back on my journey to become world champion – that’s my dream.
“That’s what I want and that’s what I’m here for – for my surgery tomorrow (Sunday).”
After starring as an amateur, claiming an Olympic bronze medal at London 2012, Ogogo’s professional career has been dogged by a succession of injuries.
Since turning pro in January 2013, he has undergone surgery on both Achilles and an operation on his shoulder.
He then suffered yet another setback in a surprise defeat against Cunningham last year.
Ogogo underwent surgery to repair the damage to his eye socket but with his eye still not at a level where he can box he was told by some people to hang up his gloves.
However, he sought the advice of leading eye specialists in America and, after undergoing more surgery, is targeting a comeback to the ring in 2018.
“It’s going to be the fourth surgery on my eye and it’s been one hell of an ordeal but when I lift that world title above my head in the future it’s all going to be worth it,” he added.
“All these hard times over the last 16 months are going to be really sweet. I can’t wait.”