Another Great Yarmouth Bowls Tournament is under way
- Credit: Archant
The final stages of the Beach Café men's fours and the Harbour Radio ladies' singles will be played at the 72nd Great Yarmouth Tournament of Bowls today.
The first semi-final of the fours will feature the Beccles rink of B Clarke, D Mann, A Nixon and skip M Patterson after they won their afternoon game 25-14 and also beat the rink of J Roope, G Labrum, N Nimmo and D Brookes 18-17.
Their opponents will be the Caister Bowls Club rink skipped by B Wymer who won their two games 21-20 and 21-7.
In the other semi-final the rink of P Boldero will play a rink from Norwich's Norfolk Bowls Club skipped by B Perrett.
Boldero's rink won their two games 30-7 and 22-15 while the Norfolk Bowls Club rink won their games 25-4 and 24-10.
You may also want to watch:
The first semi-final in the ladies' singles will be between Sheila Hardingham and Sheena Siely while the second match will be between Ann Chambers and Tracy Johnson.
Play starts at 9am this morning and spectators are welcome.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
The tournament was opened on Sunday by the Lord Mayor of Great Yarmouth councillor Kerry Robinson-Payne, who delivered the ceremonial opening bowl.
The action got under way with the early stages of the Beach Café men's fours.
Last year's winners I Wones, J Wells, D Mills and skip Philip Barr started their defence of the title with a 22-13 win over E Feavayer's rink.
The rink of M Elliott, M Sparrow, S Elliott and D Sherman won two games to progress to the next round, as did the rink of C Derry, M Brown, M Turner and T Jermy.
The ladies' singles also got under way and last year's winner Donna Brooks played Shelia Hardingham, with Shelia started the better and racing into a 5-1 lead.
Donna then hit back to be only 6-4 down before losing a four on the next end.
A run of seven shots without reply saw Shelia lead 17-4 and although Donna fought back superby to reduce the lead to 18-16 after 19 ends, she dropped three shots on the next end to lose 21-16. The The tournament, organised by the Great Yarmouth Bowls Committee under the watchful eye of manager Derek Webster, runs until Friday, September 22,