Anglian Combination round-up: Caister back on top, but it’s tight
- Credit: Archant
It is all change at the top of the Premier Division as the league resumed following the festive break – but the picture is no clearer, with the top three teams separated by goal difference only.
Caister returned to top spot after a 1-1 draw away to Waveney. Alex Meakin scored for Waveney with Jordan Stanton on target for Caister.
The big match of the day was at Wymondham, who beat morning leaders Long Stratton 3-0 to move up to third. Payton Swatman bagged a brace for Wymondham, with Aaron Nixon also on the scoresheet.
While the top three all have 33 points, Caister have a goal difference of +26 and a game in hand, while Wymondham and Long Stratton are both on +18.
Jack Smith scored twice with Will Stenner also on target as fourth-placed Norwich Ceyms won 3-1 at Acle United, whose goal came from Ricky Forder – a win that ensured there is no chance of the top three battling it out on their own. Ceyms are a point behind the pack, but they have a game in hand on Wymondham and Long Stratton.
You may also want to watch:
However, a gap is finally beginning to appear below Ceyms, with fifth-placed Scole going down to a 3-1 defeat at Sheringham. Dale Wilton (2) and Tim Cary scored for Sheringham with Kieran Manning getting Scole's goal.
Beccles Town suffered a 4-1 defeat at Blofield United, whose goals came from Sam Gauntlet, Orren Oliver, Reece May and Jack Robinson, Joe Clarke scored for Beccles.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 3 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 4 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 7 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 8 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 9 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
Bradenham Wanderers were 3-2 home winners over St Andrews. Lewis Fuller (2) and Sam Childerhouse earned the points, with Jamie Blackett and Ben Wright on the scoresheet for St Andrews.
It was honours even at Hellesdon, who drew 2-2 with Wroxham Reserves. Jack Hurrell and Jordan Hepperson scored for Hellesdon with Jack Musket and Andrew Afriyie on target for the visitors.
Goals from Xavier Huckle and Jordan Ramm earned Mattishall a 2-0 win at Norwich United U21s.
In the First Division, Ryan Lythgoe scored the only goal of the game as leaders Yelverton beat Attleborough Town. Mundford remain a point behind after a 4-0 home win over Watton, thanks to goals from Jack Gould and an Ian Fancett hat-trick.