An Olympic-inspired triathlon to head to Norwich
A new Olympic inspired triathlon relay event suitable for athletes of all abilities and triathlon families is being held this weekend.
The team triathlon will be held at Sportspark, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, this Sunday.
The event, hosted by Active Outdoor Sport, will see teams of two men and two women complete a 'super-sprint' triathlon consisting of swimming, cycling and running.
Each competitor will complete a 200m swim, 4.5km bike course and a 1.2km run before tagging off to their next team mate.
The format was recently seen in the ITU Team Triathlon World Championships in Lausanne, Switzerland, where Great Britain's team of Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee, Helen Jenkins and Jodie Stimpson won the title.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped that the team triathlon will feature in the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
Simon Edwards, director of Active Outdoor Sport, said: 'I am very excited and pleased to be hosting this event in collaboration with Sportspark.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 4 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
'I am hoping it will attract a wide audience of competitors, from experienced and mature triathletes to those who have never taken on the challenge of a triathlon, and youths alike.'
The swim will be in the Sportspark pool, the bike course is a two lap loop on the university campus roads and the run will be on the Sportspark athletics track.
There will be three different race categories for teams. 'Rookie Racers' will feature teams of novice athletes that are new to triathlon or have only competed in a handful of races while 'Frantic Families' will be made up of one or two families including two adults and two children.
'Warrior' teams will be made up of experienced athletes aged 15 upwards.
For more information about the event, go to www.activeoutdoorsport.co.uk.
The event costs �60 per team to enter. For any team members that are not members of British Triathlon then a day membership must be purchased at a cost of �4 each (�2 for U18s).