An Olympic-inspired triathlon to head to Norwich
A new Olympic inspired triathlon relay event suitable for athletes of all abilities and triathlon families is being held this weekend.
The team triathlon will be held at Sportspark, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, this Sunday.
The event, hosted by Active Outdoor Sport, will see teams of two men and two women complete a 'super-sprint' triathlon consisting of swimming, cycling and running.
Each competitor will complete a 200m swim, 4.5km bike course and a 1.2km run before tagging off to their next team mate.
The format was recently seen in the ITU Team Triathlon World Championships in Lausanne, Switzerland, where Great Britain's team of Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee, Helen Jenkins and Jodie Stimpson won the title.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped that the team triathlon will feature in the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
Simon Edwards, director of Active Outdoor Sport, said: 'I am very excited and pleased to be hosting this event in collaboration with Sportspark.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
'I am hoping it will attract a wide audience of competitors, from experienced and mature triathletes to those who have never taken on the challenge of a triathlon, and youths alike.'
The swim will be in the Sportspark pool, the bike course is a two lap loop on the university campus roads and the run will be on the Sportspark athletics track.
There will be three different race categories for teams. 'Rookie Racers' will feature teams of novice athletes that are new to triathlon or have only competed in a handful of races while 'Frantic Families' will be made up of one or two families including two adults and two children.
'Warrior' teams will be made up of experienced athletes aged 15 upwards.
For more information about the event, go to www.activeoutdoorsport.co.uk.
The event costs �60 per team to enter. For any team members that are not members of British Triathlon then a day membership must be purchased at a cost of �4 each (�2 for U18s).