AFC Sudbury 2 Wroxham 1: Poor start costs Yachtsmen
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A poor start proved costly for Wroxham as Jamie Godbold's AFC Sudbury side strengthened their title claims.
The Yachtsmen were two goals down inside the opening 18 minutes, and Gavin Lemmon's long-range effort with 10 minutes to go couldn't spark the comeback.
The hosts, who are 11 points clear at the top, went ahead after just two minutes when, on the counter-attack, Joe Maybanks, slotted the ball home from the edge of the area.
Five minutes later, Maybanks nearly got his second of the game, but blasted over.
However, it was soon 2-0, after Ben Robinson's cross was cleared only as far as Jack Newman, who had just been brought on as an early substitute, and he fired home from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham tried to hit back and Nick Davey's attempted chip looked to be going in until a strange bounce on the 3G surface took the ball agonisingly wide.
Lemmon came on for Sam Harty with 17 minutes of normal time remaining as Wroxham tried again to claw themselves into the game.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 7 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 8 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 9 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
Davey had two long-range efforts narrowly miss the target, before Lemmon, finding space some 30 yards out, showed him how to do it, firing in a low shot into the bottom left-hand corner.
The Yachtsmen flooded men forward and two minutes later Steve Taylor nearly found an equaliser, but saw his effort saved.
Jack Garrod had one last chance from a free-kick, but his strike went sailing over the bar.