A surprise or two around the coast
It's been steady sport around the patch, with some good variety and the odd surprise thrown in for good measure.
In the deep south of the region, codlets, dogfish and the occasional better codling are showing from the deep water marks of Orford and Aldeburgh. Only a matter of time, I should think, before there are rays off the Ness and in the Alde – definitely worth a go with fish baits right now; there should be action on the rods from dogfish at least. I
n the east between Lowestoft and Yarmouth there are a few better fish amongst the features that seem to hold a few residents; codlets and a few dogfish seem to be the order of the day on the open beaches.
Above Sea Palling and there have been some better codling, particularly from Mundesley up to Trimingham, the latter probably the most consistent. There have been plenty of codling up to around 50cm and also lots of codlets and the occasional school bass. The codling I've seen look in great condition. There's certainly plenty of grub for them.
Above Cromer and there seem to be a few more school bass with the codlets, rough ground under the cliffs at Weybourne producing a few better fish, including some dogfish. Chris Glenn had a pleasant surprise when fishing Weybourne – his lug and bluey bait was snaffled by a fine thornback ray of around 6lb, a rarity for Norfolk these days.
You may also want to watch:
The look ahead is all about the weather; temperatures are dropping and the wind has north or east or both in it most of the week which should bode well for keeping the codling feeding around Norfolk's sandy beaches.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 9 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland