41 cars in festival action at Swaffham
Swaffham Raceway stages its annual two day festival of speed this coming weekend, featuring 41 races from eight different stock car and hot rod formulae.
The racing begins at 5.30pm on Saturday, when 24 races take place – the remainder being staged on Sunday from 1.30pm and featuring the main events for the formula's, the East Anglian Championships.
Gary Legrice (Norwich) enjoys a comfortable lead at the top of the track points in the lightning rods. Although he is a previous winner of an East Anglian title, that was in the mondeo rods.
In that class Paul Brett (Norwich) is the surprise points leader although Andy Bircham and Karl Grummett, also Norwich are the current form drivers.
Robin Cowles (March) is current points leader and defending East Anglian champion in the stock rods, also recently winning their Norfolk Silver Cup.
You may also want to watch:
In the street stocks, Lee Petherick (Norwich) is the defending champion but young Jamie Plane (Yarmouth) holds a slender lead in a hotly-contested points championship.
Brandon's Richard Shearing won the open wheeled superstocks last year while Snetterton's Kelven Nicholls is currently leading the points. These two were first and second in the recent Classic 100 with Nicholls just beating Shearing by a couple of points.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
Making their debuts at the annual festival are the 2-litre hot rods and the junior rods.
Stowmarket's Gary Farrington is leading the way in the 2 litres with Upwell's Stuart Ellinor doing likewise in the new kids class.
The weekend closes with the Swaffham Grand Prix.
• Admission is �10 adults, �5 young adults/OAPs, children (under 7) are free, family tickets are available for �25. More details at www.swaffhamraceway.com.