King’s Lynn Town 0 Farsley Celtic 0

King’s Lynn Town moved out of the relegation zone after a goalless draw at The Walks which stretched their unbeaten run to four games – proving  there is life in the saying ‘never mind the quality, feel the width’.

It wasn’t a game for the thrill seekers, but sometimes, when you’re struggling for points, pragmatism takes precedence. In a relegation dog fight, one point is like gold dust.

The Linnets are beginning to play hokey cokey with the National League North drop zone – Saturday’s result meant they leapfrogged Rushall, who were thumped at Peterborough Sports.

“I'm quite pleased with the performance to be honest,” said Lakeland.

“I think it's probably one of our better home performances of late. There wasn't loads of quality in the game, but I felt we had more quality than them. I felt we had good spells in the first half where were trying to build momentum - there were three stoppages which I think just hindered that momentum at times and probably helped them.

“We could have really done with half-time coming probably five or 10 minutes late because I really thought we were building. Second half I thought we came out started quite well. Thought we were the better team for probably the first 20 minutes of it and then it just kind of petered out a little bit and it went a little bit quiet in here. Maybe people remembering the Darlington game where we were maybe the slightly better team, a little bit of territory, but got done with a sucker punch and probably from my perspective the way we've managed the game through to make sure that whilst we didn't do enough to win it, we didn't lose, is probably one of the most pleasing things at the end.”

Lakeland made one change to the team which won at Brackley in midweek, with striker Jon Margetts in for Quevin Castro, who was on the bench.

Lynn were slow out of the blocks, Clayton Donaldson turning and seeing a shot blocked by Kyle Callan-McFadden for a corner.

It was a game with little in the way of rhythm in the early stages, a couple of injury breaks interrupting play with neither team able to settle.

Ben Stephens went close when he followed up his blocked free-kick with a shot that was deflected for a corner, as Lynn managed a spell of pressure.

One of the highlights of the opening half was the exit of referee Darius Bradley with a calf injury – he swapped with one of his officials and the appeal to the crowd for a replacement worked when former Linnets keeper Danny Gay appeared suited a booted for the start of the second half.

George Morrison and Stephens combined well to tee up Margetts early in the second half, but the final touch was poor and his effort sailed over the bar.

There was a warning at the other end as a the game moved into the final 10 minutes when sub Conor Branson lopped a header just over Paul Jones’ bar.

Lynn sub Castro’s deflected shot almost caught keeper Zan-Luk Leban unawares and sub Bartosz Cybulski had a glorious opportunity in time added on but didn’t catch his header and the keeper gathered. In truth the game didn’t deserve a goal.

King’s Lynn Town: Jones, Ronan, McFadden, Taylor, Coulson, Crowe, Hargreaves (Walker 90), Morrison, Stephens (Castro 72), Devonport, Margetts (Cybulski 80). Subs not used: Dixon-Hodge, Rogers.

Farsley Celtic: Leban, Assenso (Rowe 20), Smith, Evans, Atkinson, Adewoju, Turner, Atkinson, Donaldson, Coulson, Leverett (Branson 46). Subs not used: Wilson, Watson, Priestley-Standing.

Att: 881.