The away teams had the upper hand in the Norfolk derbies as the battle for extra preliminary round progression took centre stage.

Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division champions Norwich United and their same-league counterparts Thetford Town triumphed at Great Yarmouth Town and Swaffham Town respectively to pocket £1,500 prize money and progress to the next stage of the world-famous knockout competition.

The Pedlars, back in the Eastern Counties set-up's top-flight, had high hopes of kick-starting a cup run as they welcomed a Thetford side that had been thumped 8-0 by Godmanchester Rovers in midweek. Yet Mark Scott's visitors bounced back in style with Olly Standley's brace, a debut goal for Shaun Hunsdon and a Bruno Tavares stunner putting the Brecklanders in control before the break.

And even though Alex Vincent found the net twice after the break, Paul Hunt's Pedlars failed to produce a miracle comeback as their hopes of an FA Cup adventure fell at the first hurdle.

Scott – who can look forward to a preliminary round clash at home against higher-tier Bury Town on Saturday August 29 – said: 'I'm extremely pleased and proud of my squad. Their reaction and character shown on Saturday proved their ability to focus on the present and not dwell on the past.'

Yarmouth's chances of causing a dream upset always looked unlikely against the Planters – especially when Pete Oldham was dismissed for a second bookable offence. Matt Blake put United ahead before the interval. He netted again, as did Paul Cook with a long-range belter, to seal a 3-0 triumph and set up a trip to St Ives Town on Sunday, August 30.

Brett Whaley's impressive start to life at the helm of United Counties League Premier Division Wisbech Town continued despite a brave effort by Diss Town.

The Thurlow Nunn First Division Tangerines, relegated last season, were roundly praised for a display which almost saw them earn a replay against the Fenmen – who have won all three competitive games under Whaley's tenure since his summer arrival from Yaxley. However, former King's Lynn Town midfielder Rob Hughes' eighth-minute winner ensured Diss suffered an eighth successive defeat in the extra preliminary round.

Wisbech will have to wait to see who they'll play next with Holbeach United and Ely City drawing 1-1 in Lincolnshire on Saturday.

Whaley's former club inflicted heartbreak on Ricci Butler's Gorleston as a last-gasp Deakan Napier winner robbed the Greens of another shot at extending their run. An own goal put the visitors in front during the first game on the new artificial 3G pitch near Peterborough. But Jon Stead's late goal and Napier's winner – caused by two Gorleston mistakes, according to Butler – ensured it was the hosts who were left smiling.

Fakenham Town and Huntingdon Town will go again on Wednesday after they played out a 0-0 draw at Clipbush Park while Kirkley & Pakefield will welcome Hertford Town on Tuesday after they blew a two-goal half-time lead on Saturday. Joe Clark and Miguel Lopez' penalty had put Pakefield in dreamland but the reality is they'll need to win tomorrow if they want to visit Whitton United in the next stage.