Oyster staff at Hoveton mark extension with a party
Staff at EDP Top100 firm Oyster Yachts have celebrated the completion of a £500,000 extension to its site in Hoveton with a party for 275 guests, including key contractors.
The work has increased the number of build bays from seven to nine and will permit the continued expansion of the luxury yacht builder which has a full order book in Hoveton until the end of 2015.
The company's worldwide success has seen a steady rise in the workforce and Suzy Lynch, general manager Oyster Yachts Wroxham, said they were currently looking to recruit 15 new staff, including a yacht designer, quality technical coordinator and engineer, as well as several electricians and boat joiners/outfitters. #
She revealed that the present 175-strong Hoveton workforce could increase to 250 by the end of next year if plans for a further £1.5m-plus building project, which would see the number of build bays increase to 14, are approved by North Norfolk District Council.
With Oyster's turnover predicted to rise 15pc next year to £40m, she described the company's journey as an amazing success story - 'a world class luxury brand hidden away in Hoveton'.
You may also want to watch:
The party was a chance for staff to showcase their place of work and yachts in build to family and friends; apprentices proudly showed their parents around the facility during the evening's entertainment and the Oyster team soaked up the celebratory atmosphere over a hog-roast and cocktails.
Speaking at the event, Oyster CEO David Tydeman said: 'Celebrating the opening of the new build bays is a great opportunity to reflect on the success that is enabling Oyster to continue to invest in its Norfolk operations.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'We introduced the new version Oyster 575 in October 2012 confident that the team we had established under the new banner of Oyster Yachts Wroxham earlier in the year could build them to a high standard and efficiently. They have done so well that we have closed 19 contracts over the last 24 months – a sales success rate better than we've ever achieved in Oyster's history with one model.
'As a direct result of this success – and the parallel sales of four of the new Oyster 475s, seven of the new 545s and several 625s over the same period – we have been able to double the size of the workforce with almost 175 staff now on site.'
He added that following the recent unveiling of the new coupe-styling Oyster 675, the first contract was now signed and it would also be built in Wroxham.