Norwich City fan meets up with Canaries’ star Ted MacDougall he almost strangled
- Credit: Ted MacDougall
It has taken more than 40 years, but a Canaries fan who grabbed Ted MacDougall around the neck after watching the City striker score a hat-trick has finally caught up with his idol.
Paul Freeman was just 13 when he first met the City striker during a Division One clash against Aston Villa in August 1975.
The photograph of him celebrating with MacDougall was one that made it to the front page of the next day's Eastern Daily Press to mark the 5-3 victory.
And now Mr Freeman, 54, met his idol before Norwich City took on Preston in the Championship at Carrow Road.
The grandfather-of-two who took a picture of their meeting, said: 'It was great to catch up. It was really good after all these years to finally get to meet him.
You may also want to watch:
'When I showed him the old picture he remembered it well and said he had just scored a hat-trick.
'He said he'd seen it a few times and called it an iconic picture.'
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 4 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 5 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 6 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 9 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 10 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould