Norwich car park prices to rise
Motorists are set to have to pay more to park in Norwich after the city council's ruling cabinet agreed to increase fees and charges at the city council's off-street car parks.
Norwich City Council, which operates two multi-storey and 13 pay and display car parks, is projected to generate �4.59m from parking fees and charges in 2010/11.
By putting up prices, which would come in on November 8, the authority would be able to generate an extra �31,250 during the current financial year and �75,000 over a full financial year.
But the council agreed it would absorb the effect of the VAT hike to 20pc, which would mean the extra income over a full financial year would fall to �22,560.
The issue was discussed at the Norwich Highways Agency Committee meeting - made up of county and city councillors last week - and was approved by the council's cabinet this week.
You may also want to watch:
The changes, which were agreed by the cabinet, include:
• An increase in the hourly rate at St Andrew's car park from �1.20 to �1.30, up to a maximum day-time rate of �5.30 - up from �5.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 8 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 9 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
• Increase in the hourly rate at Magdalen Street (currently 90p) Exeter Street (currently 80p) and St Crispins (currently 80p) to �1, up to the maximum daily rate of �4.
• To improve medium stay usage at St Giles, the maximum day-time charge will be cut to �8 (currently �15) and Colegate to �7 (currently �1.10 per hour)
• The evening and overnight rate at all car parks will increase to �1.70 (currently �1.60).
• The hourly rate at Exeter Street and St Crispins car parks will go up from 80p to �1, and the maximum day-time charge increased from �3 to �3.50.