Norfolk’s Wildcat Aerobatics team to appear in new BBC series
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk aerobatics team has given TV cameras unprecedented access to their awe-inspiring displays for a new BBC series.
Wildcat Aerobatics, based at Old Buckenham, will appear in an episode of Skies Above Britain, a BBC2 series which uncovers the secrets of those people who spend their life in the sky.
The cameras followed the team throughout their 2015 flying season and put the professional relationship of pilots Al Coutts and Willie Cruickshank under the spotlight.
Viewers will get a behind-the-scenes insight into life as a Wildcat pilot, finding out about what it takes to put on an aerobatic display and the incredible flying partnership the pair share.
Mr Coutts said: 'It was a little intrusive initially to be followed around the film crew but we quickly became used to their presence.
You may also want to watch:
'It was great fun to fly for the cameras and we hope it gives a true insight into the tight cohesion of both those on the ground and those in the sky.'
The team were filmed between August and December last year at their base at Old Buckenham Airfield as well as during displays at Snetterton and The Yorkshire Airshow and at both of the pilots' homes.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
Mr Cruickshank said: 'Giving a film crew unrestricted access to follow us at home, at work, in the hangar and in the air, was a new, exciting yet nerve-wracking, experience.
'By giving unprecedented access to the Wildcat team and its extended family I hope the programme shows the huge levels of support - practical and emotional - that are required to make a team like ours a success.
'The 2015 display season was dominated by tragedy with the loss of our great friend and teammate David Jenkins just before the start of the season, and then the traumatic events at the Shoreham Air Show in August which meant my incredible partnership with my wife Nicola was more important than ever.'
• The episode airs at 8pm on Wednesday, August 31 on BBC2.