Youth club waltz led to 60 years of marriage for Lowestoft couple
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A couple who met at a Lowestoft youth club are celebrating 60 happy years of marriage.
Maclolm and Yvonne Barker first met when they danced the Tennessee Waltz together at Colville House youth club when they were 17.
They were married four years later on March 30, 1957 at St John's Church in Lowestoft and honeymooned at Butlins.
Mr Barker completed his national service and stayed on with the Army until shortly before the arrival of his first child.
After leaving the Army, Mr Barker joined the fire service, working part time at Saxmundham and Leiston for a total of four years before joining the whole time fire service in Lowestoft in 1963.
You may also want to watch:
After retiring when he was 55, Mr Barker continued to work for the fire service training department for a further ten years.
Mrs Barker worked as a dinner lady and cleaner at Woods Loke Primary School whilst also raising the couple's four children.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 4 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 5 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 6 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 7 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 8 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
She enjoys singing and has been a member of several choirs.
She is currently a member of the choir at St Peter and St John Church in Kirkley and has helped to raised thousands of pounds for church funds with her singing.
Mr and Mrs Barker, of Farnham Close, joked that they quarrelled every day but added that their marriage had lasted because they got on well with each other and had similar interests.
The couple, who also have five grandchildren and three great grandchildren, are planning to celebrate their anniversary with family at the Hotel Victoria.