Young women compete for Miss Universe Norfolk crown
- Credit: submitted
Young women from across the county have been taking to the stage to compete for the accolade of being crowned Miss Universe Norfolk 2013.
Twenty young women were in the final of the competition which took place tonight at Dunston Hall Hotel, near Norwich, and during the competition they all wore bracelets in tribute to 23-year-old Olga Demina, from Old Catton, who had been due to enter the pageant but died of cancer in August last year.
The pageant included an interview round, casual wear round, swimwear round and evening wear round, before the new Miss Universe Norfolk was announced, and the winner will be revealed in the Norwich Evening News on Tuesday.
Louise Harris, one of the regional directors of Miss Universe Norfolk, said there were two main aims of the competition – to empower young women in Norfolk and to raise money for charity – and she said they have seen all of the women go on 'an incredible journey' as they prepared for the final over the past four months.
Ahead of the final the competitors took part in self-development events, walked barefoot over hot coals, and raised nearly £2,500 for the Hemraj Goyal Foundation which supports the children's charity Strongbones. Some of the competitors will also be taking part in the One Billion Rising campaign to end violence against women.
You may also want to watch:
The winner and runners-up, winner of the public vote and entrant who raised the most money for charity, will go forward to the Miss Universe Great Britain final in Birmingham in June, and the winner of that will represent the UK at Donald Trump's Miss Universe.
- 1 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 2 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise