Young Thetford chess player wins two titles at Norfolk tournament
- Credit: Archant
A young chess star has continued to go from strength-to-strength after success in a competition.
Jaden Jermy, from Thetford, won the won the under-12 category and under-14 category at the Norfolk Junior Chess Championship in Norwich.
It was the first home tournament for the 12-year-old who taught himself to play by reading books and watching tutorials.
His proud mother, Michelle Jermy, said: 'He has started now with his coaching and he [the coach] is really impressed with Jaden. He just lives and breathes chess.
'The organiser of the tournament had said he had heard of Jaden and it was nice because he asked Jaden for a game.'
You may also want to watch:
The Thetford Grammar School pupil recently secured a place with the England under-18s squad and will play in Spain in August.
Miss Jermy added: 'He just makes me chuckle how he gets up in the morning and watches videos on chess.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street