Young Norfolk singer to star in English Touring Opera show
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A talented young Norfolk singer is set to star in an opera coming to Norwich's Theatre Royal next month.
Twelve-year-old Charlotte Pollard has been picked to appear with English Touring Opera in the company's production of Iphigénie en Tauride on March 23.
Sung in French, the production is described as an account of the meeting of Iphigenia and Orestes in the aftermath of the Trojan War.
Charlotte, who is a Norwich School pupil and lives in Cromer, will be playing the role of the goddess Diane and has a solo performance at the end of the show.
'I feel really honoured to have been given the opportunity to sing with English Touring Opera,' said Charlotte, whose singing heroines include Julie Andrews, Maria Callas and Lesley Garrett.
'I think I will be a little nervous on stage, but I'm sure I will be okay although I will be trying to remember everything I've been taught and remembering the words as I will be singing in French.
'I would definitely like to train as a classical or opera singer.'
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 4 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 5 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 6 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 7 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 8 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 9 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 10 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
Charlotte's starring role on the Theatre Royal stage is the latest in a long line of musical achievements.
She started having singing lessons at the age of seven and has now reached the standard of grade seven.
She sings in the girls' junior section of the National Youth Choirs of Great Britain and is a member of Norwich Cathedral Girls' Choir.
She has regularly performed in productions in north Norfolk, including playing Brigitta in The Sound of Music with Cromer and Sheringham Operatic and Dramatic Society.
Next month Charlotte will also be taking part in a performance of Bach's St John Passion by the Norwich Cathedral Choirs and in April she will be singing with the National Youth Choirs Of Great Britain in a choral spectacular at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
English Touring Opera will perform Gluck's Iphigénie en Tauride on March 23 at 7.30pm.
The company will also perform Mozart's Don Giovanni on March 21 and 22 at 7.30pm.
For more details and to book tickets, visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org