Young Farmers profile: Ella Sewell is training to fulfil her livestock ambitions
- Credit: Norfolk Young Farmers
As part of our regular series of profiles on the region's Young Farmers' Club members, 17-year-old ELLA SEWELL explains how practical training is helping to equip her for a career working with livestock.
My mum used to volunteer at a local farm, and I used to go with her from when I was very young. I started work at the farm when I was 14 and have loved farming ever since.
I got good grades at GCSE and went onto sixth form at high school – but the call to work outside was too strong and I ended up applying and getting accepted on a Level 3 Diploma Course at Easton and Otley College which included practical farm work. I achieved a distinction in my mock exam a few weeks ago, which I was thrilled with.
My farming day starts at 7am and at this time of the year we are doing sheep and livestock work. We have 450 breeding ewes, 50 milk-fed calves and some beef cattle. We regularly move the sheep around onto fresh grass. With the calves we are operating an 'all in / all out' system which means that once the block of calves come in, we feed them milk formula and some hard feed for about six weeks, and once they are weaned they all go back to the farmer who keeps some for beef production and sells some at market. We then take on the next batch of calves.
We are also getting ready for lambing. This is my favourite time of year, seeing the new born lambs enter the world. I don't mind working the night shifts and I get some of my college work done when it is quiet. When I'm not on the farm, I am attending my course lectures.
My job is very varied, as every day is different. I love working in farming as I enjoy being outside. In five years' time I want to be in higher education, working and studying nutrition.
Through being in Young Farmers, I have met so many more people – not just at Swaffham YFC, but from other clubs at socials and events. I have gained more confidence too. Young Farmers has helped me mix with like-minded people, giving me a great start for my future.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 9 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 10 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
Name: Ella Sewell
Occupation: Farm worker and student at Easton and Otley College
YFC club: Swaffham
How long have you been a YFC member?: One year
Swaffham YFC meets at Peddars Inns in Sporle every other Wednesday evening. For more details about Norfolk Young Farmers contact the county office on 01603 731307.