Yarmouth landmarks take pride of place in country song about resort
- Credit: Archant
A catchy country pop song and video all about Great Yarmouth offers a run through of its holiday delights from crazy golf to beach huts and the town's various watering holes.
Popular Irish singer Derek Ryan is seen strolling alongside the resort's famous wide sands, strumming the chorus in the Merrivale Model Village, and trying his luck on arcade grabbers.
In the evening he plays to enthusiastic pub crowds who clap in time to his latest release Won't Ya Come Down (To Yarmouth Town).
With cheeky lyrics that chime with the traditional saucy seaside postcard the song has already garnered more than 65,000 YouTube hits and is being hailed as a boost as the peak summer season gets underway.
Although shot earlier in the season before the flower beds blossomed into colour and with some of the food kiosks yet to open the video showcases the landmark piers and attractions, tipping its hat towards the port and fishing heritage.
You may also want to watch:
Derek said: 'We filmed it back in May and the weather was not great. We were hoping for a nice sunny Yarmouth but it was pretty overcast. I first heard the song at a folk festival in Ireland and did a bit of research.
'My favourite version is by Liam Clancy of the famous Clancy Brothers and thankfully it's a big hit.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 9 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
'We have had people come to our shows who say it is great that we are promoting the area. There are a lot of people in Ireland who do not know the town and I have been telling them it's a great place for holidays.'
The video is said to portray 'the fun and beauty of the picturesque seaside town of Yarmouth.'
Derek, whose last two albums have topped the Irish charts, added: 'It's got a real summer feel to it. Not only is it about a seaside town, it's a catchy song that will, hopefully, be the song of the summer.'
The 32-year-old said he had happy memories of a previous visit to the town in 2003 when he performed at T4's Party on the Beach to crowds of around 90,000 as part of the pop boy-band D-Side.
Derek is currently on his One Good Night dance tour. Won't Ya Come Down (To Yarmouth Town) is available for download via iTunes.
To see the video visit the Mercury's website.