Yarmouth councillors set to bid for fourth round of coastal cash
- Credit: Nick Butcher
EnterpriseGY, the seafront and the Winter Gardens could be set for a cash injection after councillors agreed to put in a bid for the latest round of coastal cash available from Government.
It comes after bidding opened for a share of the £90m of Government funding available UK-wide on May 23.
This can be used by coastal entrepreneurs to support their plans and invest in our much-loved seaside areas.
Councillors heard at last week's economic development committee meeting how there were two projects currently being considered, but that out of those there may come a third. Initially it was not revealed that these would involved EnterpriseGY or the seafront.
So far there have been three rounds of funding given out, and Great Yarmouth Borough Council were successful in two of these.
The first round, in 2010, saw £600,000 given over 24 months to support neighbourhood-based employment, social enterprise start-ups and the EnterpriseGY programme.
EnterpriseGY was again successful in the third round and £656,250 was awarded over 21 months to extend the support offered by the initiative.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 8 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 9 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 10 Car carrying six children not wearing seatbelts caught on A47
Officials from different council departments were asked to put in their ideas by May 31, and the council will then have to submit their final bid to the Coastal Communities Fund by June 30.
Because of short amount of time to submit the bid councillors were told there would not be a chance for the Economic Development Committee to see the fully formed plans.
This caused concern among some members, who felt they did not know what they were agreeing to.
Michael Jeal, Labour councillor for Nelson ward, said he would vote against unless he knew what the projects were going to be.
But Conservative councillor for Ormesby ward Charles Reynolds said: 'That information can be sent to all members and should they have any strong objections they can go to the chairman.'
Chairman and Conservative councillor for West Flegg ward Barry Coleman added: 'If there are major concerns we will call another meeting but I'm concerned that the system doesn't come to a halt and we start calling meetings like the Swiss call referendums.'
Members agreed that after more developed plans for the bid had been circulated, if there were no major objections raised they would be happy to back the bid.