Wymondham great-grandmother wins charity award for 20 years of volunteering
- Credit: Archant
A great-grandmother from Wymondham has been recognised for spending 20 years volunteering to support vulnerable children.
Edna Andrews, 87, started helping out at The Children's Society shop in Wymondham in 1995 and last month won the National Volunteering Award.
Since then, she has turned her hand to whatever is needed at the Market Street shop and four years ago, at the age of 83, became acting volunteer manager.
She trains new volunteers in all areas of retail, from how to use the till to important aspects of fundraising.
Mrs Andrews said: 'I'm really very touched to win the award. I started volunteering at the shop to be able to help vulnerable children and that is what keeps me going now, knowing the difference The Children's Society is making to the children who need it most – and I really enjoy doing it.'
Mrs Andrews, who was nominated by shop manager Paula Greatbanks, is also often out and about collecting money raised for the charity by children in local schools.
During a ceremony at the end of last month, Matthew Reed, chief executive of the charity, presented her with the award, which is the first of its kind.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Aircraft to commemorate Battle of Britain to fly over Norfolk's sky
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 5 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 8 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 9 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 10 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
He said: 'It's been an honour to meet Edna today and hear about her experience volunteering with us over almost two decades.
'She has made an exceptional contribution to our work. We are incredibly grateful to her and are delighted to be able to recognise and celebrate her service through our National Volunteering Award.'
The shop is appealing for donations. For information, contact 01953 603469 or visit the shop at 30 Market Street.
Do you know of someone in Wymondham who goes above and beyond for others? Email email@example.com