Work to overhaul Aylsham Market Place is well under way - but causing disruption
Work is well under way to make over Aylsham's historic Market Place.
But the �70,000 of resurfacing work is having a knock on effect on town centre businesses as roads have had to be closed and parking blocked.
Liz Jones, retail manager of the Break charity shop in Market Place, said: 'It is causing disruption and obviously in the Market Place and Red Lion Street there's not any many customers around as there would otherwise be.
'I appreciate the road works have got to happen and the end result is we'll have a much nicer market place, but we're all hoping very much that the contractors will be able to get the work done within schedule.'
The overhaul started on Sunday and is due to finish tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk County Council, which is carrying out the work, warned there would be 'inevitable' disruption and apologised for any inconvenience.
As part of the project, buses will be rerouted out of the square, new shelters will be put up and the parking layout will be altered. The square will also become pedestrian-only on market days with permits being issued to traders and vehicles that need access.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street