Work still ongoing on new stretch of the A11, says Highways Agency
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
The Highways Agency has insisted that work on the A11 dualling project is ongoing after questions were asked as to why the seemingly-finished road is still not fully open.
Drivers on the 9.1-mile stretch of road between Thetford and Barton Mills have been left baffled as to why the road remains restricted to a single lane in each direction and a 40mph speed limit, with little activity seemingly taking place.
Many took to social media to voice their frustrations at the situation, with some accusing the developers of 'faffing around'.
But a spokesman for the agency, which is delivering the project with developers Balfour Beatty, said the cones would remain in place as the road nears completion.
'We are now reaching the final stages of the scheme and although some sections of the carriageway may appear to be finished we still have some final works to complete before we can fully open the new dual carriageway,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
'Landscaping and planting work is currently taking place along different sections of the A11 carriageway and minor works such as drainage, lighting and fencing.
'To ensure the safety of road users and workers, these ongoing works still require lane closures and a 40mph speed limit.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
The opening of the road appears to be imminent, with the spokesman confirming that the project is on course for a 'winter 2014' finish.
Earlier this week a Thetford business forum suggested the opening date was December 12. The Highways Agency refused to confirm the date.
Do you think the road should be open? Email firstname.lastname@example.org