Work on new £22.5m development to create 165 homes gets underway
- Credit: Archant
Work has started in Swaffham on 165 new homes being built as part of a £22.5m development in the town.
Persimmon Homes East Midlands is developing Pedlar's Meadow, based off Norwich Road, with a range of two, three, four and five-bedroom properties.
And section 106 payments totalling £585,000 means that the development will also be providing areas of public open space, including a children's play area and outdoor gym.
Nick Phillips, director in charge of Persimmon Homes East Midlands, said: "As well as having the opportunity of providing much needed homes we are pleased to be creating jobs in construction and the supply chain which brings a boost to Norfolk's economy and the region overall."
The development will see contributions made towards education, the library, a travel plan, bus service improvements and off-site Public Rights of Way, according to the people behind the plans. And around 700 jobs, including direct staff, contractors and the wider supplier network, will be created in order to bring the estate to life.
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham Town Council's planning committee initially objected to the development as it was outside the settlement boundary and was deemed to have a harmful impact on the setting of the Manor House and Wood Farm, both listed buildings.
However, it was granted outline permission and the settlement boundary was subsequently redrawn to include it in the local plan.
Last year, a local school pupil won a competition to name the new housing development after Swaffham's most famous folklore character.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy
Faith Askew-Petten, who attends Swaffham Junior School and was aged 10 at the time, was chosen by Persimmon Homes and suggested the name Pedlar's Meadow - a nod to the legendary Swaffham Pedlar who adorns the town sign.
The developers have also claimed that "a number of people have already registered an interest" in properties on the £22.5m development.
Nova Eames, sales director, added: "Pedlar's Meadow is certainly attracting some interest."
A four-bedroom detached Chedworth showhome is due to be launched at the development while first completions are expected in October.