Wisbech cricketers plan to emulate England and have own Boxing Day match
- Credit: Archant
On the same day that England commence battle with Australia in Melbourne in glorious sunshine, Wisbech's cricketers will don their whites and have their own Boxing Day contest.
The post Christmas contest, which will be staged, weather permitting, at Harecroft Road, is the idea of Wisbech player Bob Burgess.
He said: 'If England can play on Boxing Day then why shouldn't we.
'It's just a bit of fun and frivolity. The under-11s seem keen to play but I've had a few declines from parents who are perhaps worried they will be in no state to play the day after Christmas.
'I've extended the invitation to other Fenland sides to make sure we have sufficient numbers for a game.
You may also want to watch:
'There will be sausage rolls and mulled wine. It would be good if we can get 15 overs a side. Hopefully the ground is not waterlogged, otherwise the groundsman might call the game off.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 5 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146