When are the May 2017 bank holidays?
- Credit: Archant 2013
Did you know there are a few more bank holidays coming up soon? Here's a look at when they're taking place...
There are two bank holidays in the month of May, the first of which is known as the Early May Bank Holiday and falls on Monday, May 1.
Also known as May Day in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the occasion is celebrated in a variety of ways, with the most widespread tradition seeing children dance around a maypole.
Following this, another bank holiday will take place on Monday, May 29, which will be the Spring Bank Holiday.
This bank holiday always falls on the last Monday of May after the Christian celebration of Pentecost, which revolves around the coming of the Holy Spirit 40 days after Easter.
You may also want to watch:
The day is also known as Whitsun or Whit Monday in the UK.
After these the next bank holiday won't fall until Monday, August 28.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts