When are the May 2017 bank holidays?
- Credit: Archant 2013
Did you know there are a few more bank holidays coming up soon? Here's a look at when they're taking place...
There are two bank holidays in the month of May, the first of which is known as the Early May Bank Holiday and falls on Monday, May 1.
Also known as May Day in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the occasion is celebrated in a variety of ways, with the most widespread tradition seeing children dance around a maypole.
Following this, another bank holiday will take place on Monday, May 29, which will be the Spring Bank Holiday.
This bank holiday always falls on the last Monday of May after the Christian celebration of Pentecost, which revolves around the coming of the Holy Spirit 40 days after Easter.
You may also want to watch:
The day is also known as Whitsun or Whit Monday in the UK.
After these the next bank holiday won't fall until Monday, August 28.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk