West Norfolk kart racer celebrates after an impressive first international campaign
- Credit: Archant
West Norfolk teenager Oliver Clarke is celebrating after an impressive first international campaign representing his country saw him finish seventh in the world competition for kart racers, aged 13-15.
The Iceni Academy student, from near Downham Market, was chosen to take part in the CIK-FIA Academy Trophy by the Motor Sports Association along with fellow kart racer Callum Bradshaw, who won the championship.
The 13-year-old raced in France, Portugal and, finally, in Sweden, for the final round against 51 other youngsters.
He said: 'I think the championship has gone really well. I'm a bit disappointed not to be on the podium but seventh is still good for a first-year drive. I've learnt a lot from the championship and it's been a great experience. Only four points separated fourth to seventh place so it shows how close a final round it was. I hope to be offered the opportunity again, representing my country has been a great honour.'
Greg Symes, MSA Academy manager, said: 'Oliver's achievements are a fantastic result for UK karting, which confirms that we are in safe hands with the next generation of young talent coming through. The commitment and dedication shown by Oliver fully endorses our decision to choose him as a UK representative in this world championship. We look forward to working with him in the future on the MSA Academy talent development pathway.' Oliver is looking for sponsorship. If you can help, call Jeremy Clarke on 01553 810851.
You may also want to watch:
Is your son making a name for himself? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 3 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 6 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 7 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
- 10 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk