West Norfolk councillor preparing for challenging yacht race
- Credit: AAPIMAGE
It is an event that will pit her against some of the most challenging conditions anywhere in the world. But Sandra Squire is more than confident she is up to the test.
The 42-year-old has signed up for the Clipper Round the World Race where she will join a team of amateur sailors with varying experience.
She herself only started sailing two years ago and moors her own boat at Wells – but it isn't quite the same as the 70-foot ocean racing yacht used in the race.
At Easter, she completed her first round of training on the Solent during Storm Katie.
Mrs Squire, from Outwell, said: 'A lot of Clipper Crew have never sailed before their training, so in that respect I'm quite lucky in that I know my way round a boat.
You may also want to watch:
'But an ocean racing yacht is a world of difference from the small dinghy I am used to in Wells.'
She has signed up for the final leg 2018-2019 edition of the race. It will involve 24 days at sea and sailing 3,000 nautical miles across the North Atlantic.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 9 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 10 Do you recognise this man?
The route has yet to be finalised, but will start in North America with stops in Northern Ireland and the Netherlands before heading back to the UK for the finish.
Altogether, the race is over 40,000 miles and takes 11 months to complete and includes a fleet of 12 sailing yachts.
Mrs Squire is also the opportunity to raise funds for four Norfolk causes that help support her family, including her two autistic sons.
These are the Friends of Magdalen School, the West Norfolk National Autistic Society, the West Norfolk Riding for the Disabled and the Wells Lifeboat Appeal.
• Sponsor Sandra Squire at www.sandrasquire.com/fundraising
• Are you training for an exciting challenge ahead? Email firstname.lastname@example.org