West Norfolk celebrates first ever Norfolk Day
- Credit: Archant
The day has started off with a bang - of thunder and rain, but the wet weather will not deter hundreds of people expected to take part in Norfolk day events across West Norfolk.
In King's Lynn, Beers of Europe, in Setchey will be hosting a free Norfolk beer and gin tasting day from 12pm and more of the county's best brews can be enjoyed at the King's Lynn Beer Festival at the Stuart House Hotel, in Goodwins Road.
The beer festival, organised by the Vancouver Round Table and Stuart House Hotel and now in its 21st year, will also be raising funds for the Norfolk Accident and Rescue Service (NARS).
Speaking at the event, Donna Purple said: 'It's going really well, there's a good few people here and the sun is shining, we are keeping our fingers crossed we don't get anymore thunderstorms. 'This is a great way to celebrate Norfolk and to raise money for charity.'
For those seeking refuge from the muggy weather can visit a number of pubs and restaurants offering Norfolk-inspired menus, including the King William IV pub in Sedgeford, Briarfields Hotel in Titchwell, The Lodge and Le Strange Arms Hotel in Old Hunstanton and the Downham Home and Garden Store restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
The region is blessed with a beautiful coastline and vast open countryside with a thriving wildlife habitat. As the sunshine breaks through the clouds, nature-lovers can enjoy a day at Snettisham Park which is offering one free admission with one paying adult before 11am.
RSPB Titchwell Marsh Reserve, which is hosting an Easy Birding walk, is also offering free admission for anyone accompanying a full paying adult.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy
West Norfolk also boasts a wealth of history and heritage, which can be discovered at the Stories of Lynn, Lynn Museum, True's Yard Museum and the Custom House with a special Norfolk Day ticket.
Visitors can also marvel at the historic significance of the county, including Houghton Hall, where the five-acre walled garden will be open to the public from 11am-5pm, and Sandringham House, where the Queen resides during her Christmas holiday.
A Norfolk Day concert, in collaboration with the King's Lynn Festival, will be held at the Park House Hotel in the Sandringham Estate. Award-winning guitarists Julian Vickers and Daniel Bovey will be performing at 5pm at the historic hotel which was once the childhood home of Princess Diana.