West Beckham quilter recognised in Queen’s birthday honours
- Credit: Archant
An award winning hand quilter who has exhibited her work around the world has been awarded a British Empire Medal in the Queen's 90th birthday honours list.
Jacquie Harvey, who lives at West Beckham, near Holt, was given the award for services to hand quilting, design and the quilting industry.
Mrs Harvey, who began taking quilting classes more than 20 years ago, and has entered her work into national and international competitions. After completing a City and Guilds Course in patchwork and quilting she took up teaching and set up an email-based workshop open to members of the Quilters Guild. As a result many who had given up the craft took up the challenge of beginning to sew again.
Much of Mrs Harvey's work has been donated to charity, raising thousands of pounds for good causes. She is a member of Nelson Quilters which raises money for Norfolk based children's bereavement charity Nelson's Journey. She has also enabled young people take up quilting.
Mrs Harvey said she was 'astonished, thrilled and humbled' to receive the honour. She added: 'To be awarded this on the Queen's 90th birthday is amazing and I will treasure it.'
You may also want to watch:
Describing her work as soft sculptures, Mrs Harvey creates quilts, wall hangings, cushions, book covers and clothing inspired by historic designs. A national championship winner, her work has won acclaim in America, Australia, and Japan.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 3 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Petrol queues causing rush hour delays despite assurances over fuel supply