Wells escapes threatened flood
- Credit: Archant
High tide lapped harmlessly against defences at Wells, as the threatened gale failed to materialise.
The Albatros rode high on her moorings, as the waters rose over the harbour car park.
But that was as far as the sea got, despite earlier fears the quayside would be flooded.
'The wind's eased, that's helped,' said Mike Strong, co-ordinator of Wells flood wardens. 'Because we got early information, we were able to start warning people yesterday morning. So by the time it came to the water coming in, we were able to help the police stop people being silly. It's human nature but we want to stop people putting themselves at risk'
Mr Strong and his 12-strong team ensured no-one strayed too close as the tide rose. Police, the Environment Agency, firefighters and Wells lifeboat crew were also on hand, alongside harbour master Robert Smith and his team. 'It's been an interesting 48 hours,' said Mr Smith, as the highest in a series of spring tides peaked. 'This is the one we were really worried about.'
You may also want to watch:
Earlier Steve Brundle, landlord of the Golden Fleece, opened up for the morning tide to dish up Canute's Breakfast.
'It was just a little joke to cheer people up,' he said. 'You're always worried about it but it's the price you pay for living in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK. We're insured, anyway.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls