Weather warning in place for thunderstorms and flooding this weekend
- Credit: Rachel Farrow
Norfolk could be facing thunderstorms, flooding and temperatures of up to 28c over the weekend, forecasters have warned.
The Met Office has put in place a yellow weather warning for the entire county for both Friday and Saturday.
It warns the region may be battered by thunderstorms causing flooding.
However Chris Bell, a forecaster at Norwich-based Weatherquest, said there was a 50pc chance of thunderstorms in Norfolk.
He added: “There might be a round of thunderstorms mid morning on Friday and then a second round mid to late afternoon on Friday. The latter is the time with the greatest risk of big thunderstorms.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be a case of one part of the county will see heavy rain and a few miles down the road it will be dry.
“On Saturday there could still be heavy showers but it was be much fresher. The next two or three days will be really hot and humid.”
- 1 First look inside Norfolk garden centre after £1.25m refurbishment
- 2 'Vindictive' man torched couple's new home - after failing to buy it
- 3 Work on McDonalds and Starbucks site 'breaks rules', councillors claim
- 4 No recent virus cases in more than a quarter of Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 'The nicest people shop in Lidl' - Women amazed by act of kindness
- 6 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
- 7 Date given for opening of new McDonald's
- 8 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 9 When do some of Norfolk’s most popular attractions reopen?
- 10 People urged to get Covid test twice a week
The weather warning said there was a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.
It added there was a small chance that some communities become cut off by flooded roads, as well as power cuts in homes and businesses.
Temperatures, however, are set to become more fresh over the weekend, with 28c forecast for Friday.
On Saturday, that temperature is forecast to drop to 22c.
Meanwhile on Sunday, which has no warning in place, weather is expected to be sunny with cloudy spells at night time and temperatures of up to 20c.