Warning to Lowestoft motorists after 50 vehicle offences are reported in two weeks
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
A warning has been issued to motorists in Lowestoft following a spate of vehicle crime in the town.
Over the past two weeks there have been in the region of 50 offences reported, including theft from a vehicle, criminal damage and interference with a vehicle.
The crimes have taken place at locations across the town, in particular in Kirkley, Carlton, St Margaret's, Gunton and also in Oulton Broad.
Officers are reminding people to always secure their vehicles and to not leave anything on view inside even if it isn't valuable.
Police have also issued the following security advice:
You may also want to watch:
• Do not leave anything on display in your car, thieves can sometimes mistake them for valuables and the damage they can do to the car to get in can be costly.
• Take all your belongings with you when you leave the car. If you cannot, then lock them in the boot out of sight.
- 1 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 2 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 3 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 4 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 5 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 8 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 9 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 10 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
• Sat Navs – remove unit and holder from windscreen, wipe the residue circle from the screen (this could indicate to a thief you have hidden the unit in the car).
• Keep your keys safe and fit security devices - electronic immobiliser, mechanical immobiliser, locking wheel nuts, vehicle alarm.
• Etching - have your vehicles registration number etched onto all glass surfaces on the vehicle.
• Security marking - consider marking all your valuables, especially those that you frequently take in your car. Mark them with your postcode or other unique identification
• Doors and Windows - lock all doors; close all windows and the sunroof every time you leave your car, even if it is just for a few minutes.
• Parking - use your garage and always lock it as well as your car. If you do not have a garage, try to park in a well-lit place or somewhere that is overlooked.
• When you park your car away from home, try to avoid places that are unattended, have easy access and are concealed from public view.
Anyone who believes they may have witnessed a vehicle crime in any of the areas mentioned, or who has any information relating to them, is asked to contact Lowestoft Safer Neighbourhood Team on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.