Warning to Lowestoft motorists after 50 vehicle offences are reported in two weeks
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
A warning has been issued to motorists in Lowestoft following a spate of vehicle crime in the town.
Over the past two weeks there have been in the region of 50 offences reported, including theft from a vehicle, criminal damage and interference with a vehicle.
The crimes have taken place at locations across the town, in particular in Kirkley, Carlton, St Margaret's, Gunton and also in Oulton Broad.
Officers are reminding people to always secure their vehicles and to not leave anything on view inside even if it isn't valuable.
Police have also issued the following security advice:
• Do not leave anything on display in your car, thieves can sometimes mistake them for valuables and the damage they can do to the car to get in can be costly.
• Take all your belongings with you when you leave the car. If you cannot, then lock them in the boot out of sight.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 5 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 8 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
• Sat Navs – remove unit and holder from windscreen, wipe the residue circle from the screen (this could indicate to a thief you have hidden the unit in the car).
• Keep your keys safe and fit security devices - electronic immobiliser, mechanical immobiliser, locking wheel nuts, vehicle alarm.
• Etching - have your vehicles registration number etched onto all glass surfaces on the vehicle.
• Security marking - consider marking all your valuables, especially those that you frequently take in your car. Mark them with your postcode or other unique identification
• Doors and Windows - lock all doors; close all windows and the sunroof every time you leave your car, even if it is just for a few minutes.
• Parking - use your garage and always lock it as well as your car. If you do not have a garage, try to park in a well-lit place or somewhere that is overlooked.
• When you park your car away from home, try to avoid places that are unattended, have easy access and are concealed from public view.
Anyone who believes they may have witnessed a vehicle crime in any of the areas mentioned, or who has any information relating to them, is asked to contact Lowestoft Safer Neighbourhood Team on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.