Warm tributes paid to Beccles centenarian
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Tributes have been paid to a 'wonderful and caring' Beccles woman who has died at the age of 100.
Emily 'Dolly' Whale lived and worked in and around Beccles all her life, and celebrated her 100th birthday in October surrounded by her family.
She died suddenly at Beccles Hospital on May 18.
Her granddaughter Clare King said: 'She was a wonderful lady and having lived in Beccles all her life she was known by a lot of people.
'She never had a bad word to say about anyone and never complained about anything.
You may also want to watch:
'She will be sadly missed by everyone who knew her, especially her family.'
Mrs Whale was given the nickname Dolly by her mother when she was younger because she was so small. She was born in Mutford on October 29, 1913, but moved to Beccles with her late husband Albert more than 75 years ago.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
At the age of 14 she went out to work as a house keeper, before working at Beccles Hospital as a ward maid and at The Star Hotel in Beccles, where she later had her wedding reception.
Mrs Whale married her husband at the registry office in Beccles in October 1934, four years after their first date at the cinema in Beccles.
They moved into a house in Beccles where they had eight children, and Mrs Whale also leaves behind 26 grandchildren, 42 great-grandchildren and six great-great grandchildren.
In celebration of her birthday milestone, Mrs Whale went on her first holiday to Center Parcs with her granddaughter Clare.
Her funeral will be held at Gorleston Crematorium on June 9 at 12.40pm. Family flowers only but donations to the Royal British Legion or the Minsmere ward at Beccles Hospital will be greatly received and can be taken to Woolnough funeral home in Halesworth.