Waitrose plans for North Walsham are ‘incredibly positive’ says North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb
Plans to open a Waitrose in North Walsham have been hailed as 'incredibly positive' by the town's MP.
Norman Lamb met with bosses from the supermarket giant this week and said the chain's proposal to convert the former Focus DIY store was an 'exciting' development for North Walsham.
Waitrose announced in December that it wanted to transform the existing Cromer Road building into a 21,000sq ft store, complete with coffee shop, creating 150 jobs.
Mr Lamb said: 'I'm excited by the potential positive impact this could have on North Walsham as a town, and the surrounding areas.
'I spoke to them about what they can do to give a boost to the town centre to help the traders enhance it and there's certainly scope for working with them on that.
'And they made the point that as a company their whole approach is to work with local traders, organisations and suppliers.'
The supermarket is holding a public exhibition of its plans over two days next month, which will give residents, businesses and other groups a chance to view and discuss the proposal. Waitrose representatives will be on hand at both sessions to answer questions.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 3 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 4 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 9 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
Bosses have said they will analyse all feedback from the exhibition before submitting a planning application to North Norfolk District Council.
If the plans are given the go ahead the store could be converted in eight weeks and open by the autumn.
? The exhibition is being held in the Dayspring Centre at North Walsham Methodist Church, on Grammar School Road on Thursday February 2, from noon to 7pm, and Friday February 3, from 11am to 6pm.